Monday, September 19, 2011

Interview with Robespierre

Q: Why was your nickname ‘The Incorruptible’?

A: I, Maximilien François Marie Isidore de Robespierre, gain my nickname from my honesty and commitment to transforming France into a republic of Virtue. My main goal was to defend people’s rights, especially the more modest people's ones; therefore, I became a lawyer. I am also the most important member of the Committee of Public Safety. Its role is to protect France from the people who disagree with my idea of revolution. Thus, being that, I have the power to eliminate people.

Q: Can you explain to me what “Reign of Terror” is?

A: I knew that it was really horrible, but at least we all needed it. My goal is to clean up the French Revolution’s enemies and protect the country from those who didn’t agree with our idea of revolution.

Q: Why was King Louis XVI considered a traitor?

A: He tried to run away by writing letters together with Marie Antoinette to all European monarchs asking for their help. I consider that as betrayal.

Q: Who were the Sans-Culottes and the Jacobins?

A: They are some people who wanted to remove all of the differences social class such as like monarchy, and I agree with them.

Q: What is the purpose of your decapitation device, the Guillotine? And more importantly, what does it symbolize?

A: The idea is execution for the death penalty by decapitation. Since King Louis XVI banned the usage of the breaking wheel, the guillotine was purposely build for execution; for the intention of ending a person’s life rather than just torturing them with pain. The guillotine symbolizes the Reign of Terror and how cheap a person’s life is, for it to be able to end a life in a very fast way. It symbolizes how hard the people of France had fought to earn their liberty.

No comments:

Post a Comment